07 September 2009

Tofu Potpie



I can never cook this without thinking of my sister - she LOVES this dish!
I'll admit - I've sometimes used frozen, ready-made pie crusts, but for this pie I used a recipe from LDV called Wolffie's Quick Whole Wheat Pie Crust. I doubled the recipe since I needed a bottom & top crust and substituted half the flour with whole grain pastry flour. It is one of the better crusts I've ever made.

I always use VWAV's Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy recipe while I'm baking the tofu, for which I typically whip up a marinade at whim. (This time it involved a bit of white vinegar, olive oil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, black pepper, and soy sauce.)

Thrown into the potpie were: carrots, peas, corn, potato, tofu, & the gravy. It baked at 350 for far too long so I kicked it up to 375 to get the top to brown, but was impatient yet, thus the rather light appearance of the top crust. Oh, and I always carve a design atop the pie. I have several photos of these pies - one with 26 that I made for my sister's birthday, one with a tree for Christmas, etc.

Here's what the filling looked like:
I let the gravy get too thick this time, that would have been easily fixed by adding water, but I was making this very late in the evening and was simply too hungry to care much about perfection - edible worked for me.

rating: 4 pineapples


No comments:

Post a Comment

leave some lovin'